Free Speech in the Modern Era
Time & Location
About the Event
In conjunction with Human Rights Day 2019, LSE Alumni Society of Malaysia will be hosting a panel discussion over dinner entitled Free Speech in the Modern Era!
Recent years have seen the rise of nationalism and authoritarian governments powered by the proliferation of fake news and fear-mongering rhetoric, in stark contrast to the trends of cultural globalization. These represent both sides of the same coin - our modern era shaped and defined by information technology and social media. We discuss the effects such an environment has on free speech and the potential ramifications thereof, with references to topical issues such as the Hong Kong demonstrations and the recent repeal of our own Anti-Fake News Act 2018.
Event details are as below:
- Date - Tuesday, 10 December 2019
- Time - 7:00PM networking reception | 7:45PM dinner | 8:10PM opening remarks and panel discussion
- Venue - Berjaya Room, Bukit Kiara Equestrian Club, Kuala Lumpur
- Ticket prices - RM50 per pax for members / RM100 per pax for non-members
To RSVP, kindly select the tickets you need from below and fill out the registration form when you checkout. Members of LSEASM tickets need to provide the name of the ticket holder when filling up the registration form.
See you soon!
- Member of LSEASMRM50RM500RM0
- Non Members / Guests / PublicRM100RM1000RM0